We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
- Dish type
- Cakes with fruit
- Date cake
A delicious, egg-free fruit loaf that's rich and moist. Enjoy for afternoon tea, elevenses or pop into packed lunches.
62 people made this
IngredientsMakes: 1 loaf
- 160g chopped dates
- 150g caster sugar
- 15g unsalted butter
- 250ml water
- 250g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
MethodPrep:30min ›Cook:1hr ›Ready in:1hr30min
- Preheat oven to 160 C / Gas 2 1/2. Line loaf tin with baking parchment.
- In a large saucepan, heat the dates, sugar, butter and water. Simmer for 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Sift in flour and bicarbonate of soda together. Stir to fully incorporate.
- Pour batter into prepared tin. Bake until brown on top and a skewer comes out clean when inserted in the centre.
- Cool in tin for 15 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to fully cool. Slice and serve.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(9)
Reviews in English (11)
if anyone is looking for a "cakey" loaf, this is not for you. as a bread, this is absolutely fantastic. I followed the recipe exactly and the result was what I was looking for. next time, I would add a little orange zest to bring out more flavor and perhaps a few drops of vanilla ... just personal preference, it is delicious as it is. UPDATE: I made this again today for lunchboxes and threw in a vanilla flavoured tea bag while the date mixture was simmering...boiled it for 5mins only with the lid on the pan to keep the flavours in. it was EVEN BETTER than before! I also added a little water to the batter as it looked a tad dry. this is a gem of a recipe as you can modify it any way you like.-01 May 2013
I have made this a couple of times using dates already coated with sugar. Lovely and moist with no need for butter! I did find that I had to keep adding more water in the final stage to get a nice wet batter. Much better than maltloaf!-23 Feb 2012
I used fresh dates with this recipe (currently in the Middle East with gorgeous fresh dates in abundance) and it turned out really well. So lovely and moist and really sweet. Followed the recipe exactly, just needed to take out of the oven a little sooner that stated - expect this was my oven though. A definite winner for my family and I'll be making this many more times-28 Sep 2012